NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 14:32:30 -0500
>Greetings!
>Does anyone know of a dairy-free brand of cream soup? Or does anyone
>have any recipes that make a good substitute for condensed cream soups?
>I have some recipes that call for undiluted soup that I haven't been
>able to make work--they're edible, but not palatable.
>Thanks in advance!
>Ginger

Not so far. I try to replace the cream soup with a good sauce, and am
developing the skill of making a good sauce/gray, thanks to my
mother-in-law. I start with corn or olive oil or meat drippings (least
healthy) and brown a tablespoon or 2 of flour in it. Then I wisk in a cup
or 2 of chicken broth and, if needed, some salt and spices, and also if
needed, some arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken. Usually that's not needed,
because the sauce typically cooks down into a good consistency. For a
mushroom sauce, I sautee some in some olive oil, and use that as the base,
adding the flour and broth.

Mark Feblowitz