CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:39:32 -0700

Beverly, My daughter, now 10, has been insulin dependent since she was
3.  This past summer she was also diagnosed with Celiac disease.  We
really struggled with her blood sugars after starting the gluten free
diet.  It seems that the carbs you are allowed to eat on the gf diet are
much denser and higher in glycemic index.  Before gf her glycosolated
hemoglobin ran in the high 6's or low 7's after gf her sugars shot up
regularily into the 250's and above sometimes into the 400 and 500's.
After struggling with the sugars fora couple of months we elected to
start on the insulin pump.  She has been using it now for about 2 1/2
months and she loves it.  Her sugars are back under control, and she is
loving the freedom it affords in her schedule.  She no longer is on the
rigid time schedule she had to be on while taking shots. Now she can eat
when she's hungry and not eat if she's not hungry.  We have not had any
significant  negative experiences yet.  It is a little more difficult to
manage the sick days because, lacking the NPH insulin in her system, she
develops ketones much faster. We have had one incident of ketone induced
vomiting because of pump delivery problems.  All things taken into
account, the pump is a wonderful advance in her care and she absolutlely
loves it.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me directly
Jennifer