CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 20:28:40 -0500

Joan:

Your right about the sweetners, but if I remember correctly Cynthia is a
new diag. celiac who does not have diabetes. Diabetes does run in her
family, I believe. In previous postings, Cynthia has been concerned
about the possibility of her children have celiac disease too. Cynthia
is new at this celiac stuff and wants to educate herself in the cel/dm
area just in case. It is a lot to learn - thanks for adding that info.
because it reminds people of other issues they might not be dealing with
now, but may have to deal with in the future. Eight months ago we didn't
have to worry about carb counting just the gluten - my how things
change.

Cynthia - I truly hope you or any family member don't have to deal with
celiac/dm. It can be done, but it is truly a tough road to haul.
Brittany's new ped. endo. said to me over the phone that it would take a
person with a degree in nutrition to manage a celiac/diabetic diet,
(which I told her I had). She was thoroughly amazed how we do this.
Trust me it isn't easy, you just work with what you have and keep
looking for the new and improved things out there. AND THE "NET" is a
wonderful place for new information and supportive friends and peers.
I appreciate everyone's input even on things that don't affect our
situation now - it may be of value in the future.

Pam