CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:47:51 -0700

Hi Lana:

You wrote:

I've just returned from a sigmoidoscopy (a camera scope is threaded through
the lower colon area) and have had six biopsies taken.

  In about a week, I'll know the results.

Does anyone have suggestions about ways to convince the Doc to consider
Celiac-Sprue?

>>>I'd ask the doc-- "Please check for Celaic Sprue"- or ask if he'd ruled
it out...  as it can be a companion disease w/ diabetes.  Also does it run
in the family?

They can run blood tests and a saliva test.......  Bottom line is -- Do you
intestinal problems stop when you don't ingest gluten?

Some people have endured all the battery of tests, and get negative or
questionable results but are *sick as a dog* when they eat gluten & the
problem stops when they don't.

That to me IS the gold standard-- felling healthy.

 In the past I had severe lactose intolerance that eventually
disappeared.

>>>Damaged villi in the small intestine can creat a lactose intolerance
situation.  For some, a few months after going gluten free & the gut heals,
they have the enzymes once again to digest lactose.  As always YMMV.

  Since I'm lo-carbing, it's difficult to say whether gluten is
affecting me.

>>You would know if eating gluten stirs up the intestinal problems.

Meantime, I'm hanging in there!  ;>)

>>>Good~ keep us posted on the results.

Fran