AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:28:45 -0500
I don't have a direct answer, at least specifically in terms of
library catalogs.  I suspect that the issues you raise are common to
many interfaces, not just library catalogs.

I just took a look at "'Handicapped access' hits the Web" on ZDNet,
the Ziff Davis Web site.  Go to www.zdnet.com and look for that title.
 One of the links is to the US Department of Justice documents on
Section 508 for givernment agencies.  Go to
www.usdoj.gov/crt/508/508docs.html and take a look at the "Component
questionaire" segments on software accessibility,  Web page
accessibility, and Information/Transaction Machine accessibility.  I
think we should all be requiring vendors to toe the line on this
stuff.  If we demand it, they'll resond eventually.

BTW, for those who don't know it, Section 508, added in August 1998
to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, requires federal agencies to make
their computer and Internet systems accessible to American with a wide
range of disabilities.  The American Foundation for the Blind was
involved in getting this legislation passed.

Thanks to Dick Banks of EASI for the referernce to the ZDNet site!

Audrey