Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:13:57 -0500
From:
"Humphrey,Diane" <[log in to unmask]>

Several wonderful suggestions for GF foods in Indianapolis.  I'm including
restaurants too, as I received several responses from listees wanting this
information.  I will add my own discoveries at the end of the summary.

The Good Earth in Broad Ripple, which is a neat part of town to visit!  The
Good Earth is the house on the left immediately after you cross the bridge
over the canal, 6350 N. Guilford.  Guilford is west of Keystone Ave.
(Broad Ripple is not that big, and any
local could take you right to "the canal").  I like this store because it
carries GF Pantry mixes for LESS than GF Pantry charges by mail!  Has all
kinds of GF pasta, pasta sauces, flours, cookies, snacks, etc.  Their # is
317-253-3709.
Nutrition Unlimited.  They have the same kinds of things and their # is
317-899-3515.
Winding Way Farms. Their address is 5888 E. 82 Street.  Phone # 846-9-3362.
In Castleton Mall Plaza across from Best Buy.  On the NE side of town
(I-465/Allisonville Road exit).  Phone 317-849-3362, Fax 3309.  email,
[log in to unmask] They carry the largest gluten free items in the city. They
carry pamela's, gluten free pantry,  Vans waffles,etc... They also carry
Bread of Life breads which are the best we have found to buy.  (They are
frozen.) ((**I found Guten-Free Pantry pie crust mix here.  Got a package to
try.  My local store will try to get items for us, but I don't like to have
her order things we may not like.  Once I try it, I can have her order it if
we like it.))
Georgetown Health Foods.  I get bread (food for Life brand), cream of
buckwheat (I use it for meatloaf instead of breading) and several other
things.
As for restaurants, you can try Essential Edibles, located in downtown
Indianapolis, in the O'Malia's shopping complex.  They're vegetarian, but
the food is great and they're understanding of dietary restrictions.  I've
also found GF things at India Garden in Broad Ripple.  Kabul (Afganistan)
is also good, but their menu is limited.  There is only one appitizer I can
eat, and two or three entrees, but their rice is my favorite anywhere.
Cafe Santa Fe located near the Castleton Mall area was a good place to eat
and I had no reaction.  They feature homemade tortilla chips (I am allergic
to corn, but ate them anyways with the reaction - they are too good to
resist).
Now for some of my own 'discoveries':

At the Good Earth store, there was a notice about a bakery in Indianapolis
that bakes gluten free the last Thursday of every month.  Isn't that
wonderful!  Of course, you would still have to freeze things to make it
last.  Maybe they will progress to weekly if there is a larger demand.
If you haven't gone to the Good Earth store, make plans to go there.
Several of you who wrote asking me to forward info, live out of Indianapolis
and want to stock up on things.  This is the place!  They have great prices
and flour in bulk.  The Health Valley rice bran crackers are only $1.40
there and they have rice crackers for $1.35 a package.  WOW!  Great pasta
section, too.  Also, Broad Ripple looked like a great place to hang out.  I
was disappointed that we didn't make it there until Saturday night and then
we didn't have time to explore.  Hopefully we will make it back to visit
some day.
We stumbled upon Nature's Market while waiting for some film to be
processed.  It is located at Willow Lake Shopping Center, W. 86th St &
Township Line Rd.  Phone 317-876-3131.  They have Wasa crackers I have been
reading about on the list.  They are expensive there also ($4.29) but are
the closest thing I've tasted to saltines.  They don't look a lot like them,
but have a similar texture and flavor.  Their mixes seemed a little high,
but then, most do to me, since I know I can make gf items from scratch a lot
cheaper.  It is hardly fair, you can buy a cake mix in the supermarket for
$1 but they are $3 or $4 for gf.  Also found at this store, Ener-G pizza
shells.  I almost missed them.  My 13 year old daughter pointed them out.
We almost danced in the aisle!  My "poor babies"can actually have a REAL
pizza instead of a make-do with bread for a crust.  $5.85 for 2 vacuum
packed shells in a box.  At that price, I hope they like them.  We still
have to add toppings.
We've been getting Van's waffles locally and they are great.  Now I
discovered they come in Apple Cinnamon and Blueberry flavors also.  Still
gluten free.  All the stores we went to in Indy had them at about the same
price.  About $2.50.  I've been getting them for $2.09. I can get Pamela's
Cookies cheaper here too.  Very surprising!
As for directions, I found out you can get maps off Yahoo!