From:
Karen Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 20:01:06 EDT

Thank you to all the people who responded.  The following is the information
which was sent to me.

1.  All I do for gravy is to use the pan drippings and rice flour.  If there
are no pan drippings then I use a GF spread like Bovril, add some rice flour
and water and bring it to boil in the pan, stirring all the time.

2.  Herb Ox boullion is gluten free as their caramel flavor is from browned
sugar and the beef flavor could be used as a base for brown gravy.  It can be
thickened with either tapioca starch or corn starch or sweet rice.

3.  Allegedly, French's Au Jus gravy is gf.  I confirmed this with the mfg
but it took three weeks and I'm not sure that they really understood the
question!  I was told that it contained no wheat, oats, rye, or barley
(or by-products).  I hope someone else can confirm this!  It took about
20 phone calls and about 4 hours of busy signals!  I asked a similar
question re gravy about a year ago.  Most responses were using meat
drippings an gf flours.  I haven't had too much success with things that
weren't from drippings (using boullion cubes or the like).

4.  I'm using this brown gravy for chicken this Rosh HAshanah:
Organic Gourmet Instant Soup n' Stock Vegetable concentrate (got it from GF
pantry). Garlic, cilantro, other seasonings to taste. Finely shredded fresh
onion. Thicken with Arrowroot. Yummy! Also freezez well.

5.  Have you ever heard of a product called Veloutine.  It comes in a brown
mixture for thickening gravies and also a white mixture which I used for
thickening white sauces or soups.  It is made by Best Foods Canada Inc, Box
500, Etobicoke, Ontario, M9C 4V5.  The ingredients in the brown Veloutine
are potatoe starch, Lactose, Maltodextrin, Rice Flour, Caramel,
monoglyceride.  The white Veloutine contains potatoe starch, lactose,
maltodextrin, rice flour, sodium phosphate, hydrogenated sunflower oil,
sodium casenate, monoglyceride, sodium citrate.  I have used both these
products for over five years and never had a problem.  They sure make
beautiful sauces.  Hope you can find these products.

6.  I have had reasonable success substituting sweet white rice flour in my
old gravy recipe.
equal # of TBSPs fat from meat and flour
cook as roux for about 2 min, (stirring over low heat)
add broth (Trader Joe's chicken is great!) a little at a time, stirring to
blend
when the broth is in, which is when the gravy is a little thinner than you
will want, stop stirring and let it simmer a few minutes
add salt, pepper, and now I use a few drops of San-J tamari.
If I'm really inspired, I'll add a tiny bit of lemon zest. It goes well with
the tamari to give the gravy a little bite to counteract the fat.

I still miss the old gravy, but this is popular even among the non-celiacs in
the family.

7.  Brown Gravy (my non-GF husband says the best he ever tasted) is very
simple.

In skillet, melt butter (not margarine), add equal amount of rice flour and
mix.  Add water slowly and mix with whisk.  Add LaChoy or Chung King Soy Sauce
to the color you want to attain and a dollop of red wine, I always use
Burgundy for a robust and smooth taste.  Salt and pepper if you wish to taste.

If you choose not to use the Soy Sauce, a substitute would be Worchestershire.

VARIATION FOR BECHAMEL (White Sauce)
Butter
Rice Flour
Chicken Stock
Milk
Can also add shredded cheese in small portions.

8.  Just get some gf beef broth and thicken it with cornstarch. Or, of
course, take the drippings from your beef add some water and some spices
and thicken that.

9.  I always make my gravies from fat drippings from meat.  The darker you
cook the meat, the browner the gravy.  How do you feel about black? (LOL)

You can remove most of the fat from the roaster, then add a mix of GF
flours (I usually use potato starch or sweet rice flour) and cold water,
stir with the fat, then add water (from the potatoes, if possible.  Then
you also get the nutrients from the potatoes)  Salt and pepper to taste.
If it's lumpy, strain it.  You need to stir around the edges of the pan to
get all the "brown" into the gravy.

10.  I still make brown gravy from drippings and rice flour or cornstarch.  Just
mix the cornstarch or rice flour with water BEFORE adding it to the boiling
drippings (Add a little more water to the drippings too) and then add it slowly,
stirring constantly to avoid lumps.  Or use beef or chicken boullion in place of
drippings (hard to find beef gf boullion though!)

11.  I just use brown rice flour in place of wheat flour in whatever gravy
recipe I am making.

My standard gravy recipe is: Get the pan juices just to boiling, then put
the flour in a jar with some water and shake til the flour is dissolved
(this helps prevent lumps). Pour the water/flour into the pan juices,
whisking to prevent lumping. Whisk til the flour is incorporated. Let it
lightly boil until it's nice and thick. Add more flour in water to thicken,
or more water to thin. (You'll play with this til you get the idea for how
much to use each time.) Salt and pepper to taste, and serve!

12.  No, but I can give you a recipe for a good, quick, always on hand gravy.
When you get your chicken, turkey etc, save the bilet pkg and bones,
skin etc.  Freeze.  When you get enough, throw in a pot of water with
an onion, a carrot and cook to death until everything falls off the
bones.  Remove debris and put in frig overnight to chill.  Skin off
fat.  return to pot and cook down to 1/2 volume.  At this pt add
herbs--sage, rosemary, thyme are good choice, salt & pepper, but easy on
the salt because you are cookint it down.  Chill again.  Put one cup
measures in plastic bags and freeze.  You will have enough basic gravy
to last for moneth.  When needed, thaw, bring to a boil, add 1
tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot dissolved in cold water, stir until
thickened.

If you want a dark brown gravey, saute veggies and onions in skillet
until lightly browned and soft. Do this over low heat so that it browns,
not burns.

This is something you can do with min. watching and you get really good
results.  An alternative is to get a good, organic chicken broth from a
health food store, put some veggies in it as above, reduce by one half
and proceed as above.

13.  You can use sweet rice flour in oil drippings (like from pork chops or
bacon) and add milk if it is a milk gravy you're looking for - make it
exactly like you would with wheat flour.

For a less fattening brown gravy save the au jus from roast beef, steak,
ham, etc., add enough other liquid (i.e., water or broth) to meet your
needs then:
1.  heat to simmering;
2.  mix with a little cold water to dissolve in a small, separate bowl
one tablespoon of cornstarch for each cup of liquid;
3.  remove hot liquid from heat;
4.  gradually add cornstarch mixture to hot liquid, stirring the entire
time;
5.  return liquid to heat and continue to stir and simmer until thick.
You can add more cornstarch for a thicker gravy.

14.  When I make something like fried chicken, I always dredge the
meat in potato flour.  Then I make gravy with more potato flour.  It
takes more grease than with wheat flour, but makes it very wonderful and
creamy.  To make true brown gravy (no cream), my mother actually makes
burned sugar (sugar with a little bit of water, cooked over medium heat,
stirring occasionally, till a very dark brown) and she uses this as a
gravy browning and flavoring igredient.  I couldn't believe it - it
tasted wonderful made with the broth from a roast and some corn starch.

15.  We use the regular recipe, substituting potato starch for Wondra, using
about half as much.

16.  What I always use is corn starch to thicken gravies
and use the pan drippings as a starter, and add water
until the desired amount of gravy is achieved.  put some cornstarch in a
mixing bowl and add a small amount of water to it so it is a thick liquid.
Add to boiling stock and cook until thickened

17.  Watkins makes a dry brown soup/gravy base mix. It works great. Their
Chicken soup/gravy base is also very good. They are both GF.

Another thing I have done is add GF flour mix to Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup Mix
to make a brown gravy.

18.   To make a brown gravy I use some gf beek stock powder (or
cube) and some gf oyster sauce mixed with a mixture of corn and potato
starch and water.

of course the best gravy has some meat juices from whatever roasted meat
that I have cooked.

19.  Have you tried to use "HEALTH VALLEY BEEF FLAVORED BROTH OR CHICKEN
FLAVORED BROTH"?  They are definately GF and tasty.  To make a gravy, add 1
tablespoon of cornstarch to a few ounces of cold milk to dissolve the cornstarch
(w/o lumps!)  then add to the broth.  Heat to boiling while stirring
constanctly.  When comes to a boil, continue stirring and let boil for 1 minute!
This hopefully helps you and you can vary this to however you would like.
Health Valley Beef Broth is sold in our supermarket (ShopRite).  They have an
800 number so you can contact them.  They are sending me a packet on their GF
products.  After we receive same we will be sharing with the list.

20.  I just used pan drippings and corn starch to make gravy gluten free.
I am sure you could do the same with broth to make brown gravy.

21.  De Roma has a Brown Gravy Soup Base.  Syvie gratiously e-mailed me their
catalog (15 pages)

Hope this helps others.

Thanks again.

Karen