From:
Rebecca Goyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:40:25 -0400

Hi!

Has anyone got any suggestions for living with non-celiacs?

My roommate does not have a problem with gluten - we eat gluten free most of the
time, except for pastas and breads.

She is learning to shop and cook gluten free and is justifyably terrified of
contaminating something.

I have jokingly told her that her experiments in the kitchen would kill just
about anyone, let alone worry about experimental errors with gluten!

However, we were wondering how concerned we had to be about dishes - at the
moment, all non-"contaminated" dishes go in the dishwasher, and gluten
"contaminated" ones are washed by hand.  Is this necessary?  She was also
wondering if we shouldn't set aside some plastic ware, spoons, and pots
specifically for use with contaminated foods.

How does everyone else deal with this?

She hasn't managed to kill me (or even make me sick) yet...I figure unless she
wants to find another place to stay for a few days, she will suffer more than I
if she does feed me the wrong things!

Becky
Calgary, Alberta