From:
Sondra Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:05:10 -0400

Once again, thank you for all the responses.  I rec'd approx. 35.  I will
summarize below what folks suggested, but first, to sum up my own
frustrating situation.  Since I've already posted three times in the past
two weeks, this will be my last post on this subject.

I did go ahead and had my B12 checked.  It was "normal" with a count of
650.  My doctor said the range is 211-911.  I've had diabetes testing,
sugar counts were normal.  I've had my eyes and ears checked, and even had
a neurological exam.  I've stopped taking Trazadone for insomnia.  It's
also used to treat depression (and it's funny, I'm beginning to sleep!)
I've stopped taking Allegra-D and plan on taking a Melaleuca product for
allergies.  I did suffer 7 yrs. ago with a viral infection that settled in
my inner ear and caused some nerve damage/hearing loss.  I've seen an ENT
at the Michigan Ear Institute on 3 separate occasions over the past 7 yrs.
and I'll always have hearing loss.

I'm keeping a log of what I eat for the next month and will touch base with
a dietitian to see if there's something I'm eating that might be triggering
my dizziness.  I take my Shopper's Guide with me each time I grocery shop
and only buy foods that are in it.  Many folks indicated that when they
ingest gluten, dizziness is a side affect. And oh yeah, I forgot to mention
that I'm also taking Prevacid for reflux once daily 30mg.  (Does anyone
else suffer from reflux?)  And if so, what do you do about it?  I drink hot
water with grated ginger root (1 tsp) in it, let it steep for 10 minutes,
strain and then drink the water.  This seems to help, but I'm a little
scared to stop the Prevacid at this time.

I've also sent away for information from Melaleuca and a book about
Paleolithic People and how they ate.  At this point, I'll just about try
anything, but have had positive comments about Melaleuca products and
eating the way our early ancestors used to eat.

Below is a summary of what others provided:

-       Don't take Allegra D, use Allegra.  Use a nasal spray for decongestant
(anyone know which ones are gluten free?)
-       Doctors came up with a diagnosis of TIA (little stoke and often a
precursor of stroke) and mild anxiety.  I now take a half a tablet of Xanax
and it helps my symptoms, but I don't agree with this diagnosis and feel
there is another cause.
-       Increase your iron and uncoated natural vitamins.
-       I can't have any cornstarch.
-       Ingredients with pseudo ephedrine in it like most decongestants are
dangerous.  It causes tachycardia (rapid heart beat), arrhythmia (irregular
heart beat) nervousness, dizziness and systems of stroke.
-       Dizziness can be caused by low blood sugar levels.  Try eating foods that
are not high on the glycemic index; potatoes, puffed rice or puffed corn,
most prepared cereals or sweets.
-       I use Tylenol allergy and sinus. (Is Tylenol Allergy and Sinus gluten
free?  I thought I read from CSA/USA Drug Guide that Tylenol products are
not considered safe, but if someone knows differently, please post.)
-       Keep a food log, celiacs tend to react to dairy, sugar, citrus, raw
apples, roughage, spices, etc.
-       Try T'ai Chi to aid relaxation.  Drink lots of water to flush any toxins
from your system.
-       After many long hours of reading, my mother discovered she had a systemic
yeast problem which is very common in many people and dizziness is one of
the major symptoms.  She doesn't eat anything with sugar, yeast or vinegar.
-       Try Zyrtex (is this gluten free?)  I'm also taking Patanol eye drops for
itching, watering hay fever eye problems (is this also gluten free?)  If
both are, do you need a prescription to get them?
-       Signs and symptoms of perimenopause.  Someone on the List indicated they
take chaste berry which has a natural harmone replacement in it.  (Can one
get this at a natural food store?)  I noticed a big difference after taking
harmone replacement therapy and in my energy level.
-       Try taking Valerian Root in either liquid or pill form (can be obtained
from your health food store) to help with sleep.
-       Try taking Melatonin and Kava Kava (I read the label on Melatonin and it
indicates that people with auto immune problems should not take this
medicine.  I also called on Melatonin and the pharmacist didn't recommend
it due to my auto immune condition.  Please post if you have any thoughts
on this).
-       Be extremely careful when going off Trazadone as there are some serious
side affects.  One is PVC's (pre-ventricular contractions).  Feels like
your heart is going to stop.  I personally did not suffer any side affects,
but do take this cautionary step.
-       Have your thyroid checked (I have 3-4 times and everything shows up in
the normal range).
-       Dizziness is a side effect of Trazadone.  Now that I'm gluten free and
healing, I am probably absorbing more of the drug than I was before.

Sorry this was so long, but lots of interesting notes.  I'm kind of at a
loss as to what to do next other than keep a log of what I'm eating.  I did
receive a response giving me the name of their doctor.  He's located in
Tuscon, Arizona.  If anyone has any other advice, I'd love to hear it.

Sondra