From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 11:41:36 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and kind thoughts regarding my
mum's pelvis and proper nutrition and supplements to help her heal in the
hospital.

(I have been running back and forth from the hospital but I will summarize
as soon as I can.)

My mum's sister died of malnutrition in the hospital a couple of years ago,
so I am a little panicked to say the least.

Yesterday she was started on Ensure!! The first 3 ingredients are water,
corn syrup and sugar. Sugar leeches calcium from the body and upsets the
calcium/phosphorus balance. -Lick The Sugar Habit by Nancy Appleton.
They have her on Meniten? for her blood pressure and ms contin for pain.
These two components leech huge amounts of nutrients from her already badly
nourished body.(morphine has depleted her stores of vitamins and
minerals)-Adelle Davis, Let's Get Well.

I was taking her farm fresh eggnogs and steak tartare that she loves
usually but she started complaining about not only the hospital food but
food in general so I feel somewhat in a corner.

Ron Hoggan has sent me enormous amount of information pointing to the fact
that celiacs in particular need more magnesium than other people and I
forwarded this information to the doctor. Unfortunately, doctors frequently
discount everything from the internet and it is becoming apparent that this
doctor is discounting everything I suggest so far.

Mum is on a gf diet at least but it is not too nourishing. She is being
given calcium and multivitamins, I believe.

Thank you all for listening.

Love,
Susan