From:
Rick Piper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 23:42:07 +0800

Hi! I'm new here and I'd like to add to your comments on the contamination
of food. Here in Perth, Australia, we are in costant touch with food
manufacturers through our Society President to maintain awareness of our
needs as Coeliacs. It is lucky for us that a preson of high rank in the
National Food Authority is a Coeliac himself and after a very informative
talk from him we learnt about contaminants in food. There is a food
monitoring program set up to detect these contaminants including Gluten. To
give an example, Gluten was found present in lupin flour! Why? It was traced
back to source and found that the lupins were growing close to a wheat
field. When the lupins were harvested the stray  wheat grains also got
caught up. The point of this story is that we have to keep in touch with our
Society who then needs to lobby either the Government or the food authority
so that they know how serious this is to Coeliacs.

I would never advocate that we " cheat" on this restricting diet, but I do
think we have to keep things in perspective........

Regards

Gail Cole (please send private email c/o [log in to unmask])