Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:04:55 -0500
From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>

I have read about other experiences on airlines and wish to share my
experiences on  American, in case it can help someone else.

Twice I have flown round-trip from Texas to Calif. and received an
adequate GF meal with chicken breast and potatoes, rice cake, the
traditional little salad with healthy style vinaigrette dressing, and
cut up fruit.  Certainly better than that melty sandwich in foil the
others are eating.

I felt quite confident and eager to see what I would get on a
trans-atlantic flight.  Surprise....I got a chicken breast on pasta and
it had no label to tell me that it was a special flour in the pasta.  I
returned it to the crew, who were pretty offended by my actions, as if I
didn't appreciate what they had done for me.  I tried to explain what GF
meant but they were not interested.  One of the regular entrees was rice
with shrimp so I asked if I could have one of those and they said no.
(I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to try it anyway.)    The
attitude was that since I rejected my special meal I should be
punished.  So I ate my packed chicken.  After a few hours nap, when they
served me a light breakfast, I received a rice cake and a little
container of canned cut fruit.  The others had a choice of  several
things, including eggs.  Again they refused to let me have eggs.  So I
pulled out a healthy muffin.

When I sat cooling my heels on my 4 hour layover at Gatwick I called AA
from a pay phone to ask to speak to the catering dept.  They contract
out for those meals so it wasn't  possible.  The agent was sympathetic
and I requested that they put my experience into my record.

On the return, two weeks later, I received a nice plate with warm salmon
filet, green beans and potatoes.  No seasoning, but that's okay.  There
was a GF roll, wrapped in cellophane from a company called Lifestyle
Healthcare, Ltd in UK.  The first ingredient was GF wheat starch.  I
didn't eat it because I did not want to take any chances with a new
experiment at that time.  But I understand the European standards allow
this ingredient.  I am curious to know what any Brits know and think
about this roll.

I travel again on American to SFO in 6 days.  Again I will order the
meal, and possibly not eat it.  If they OFFER it, they should be able to
deliver it without endangering their customer's health.

I hope you all will continue to do the same.
Anne in San Antonio