Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 01:42:45 -0400
>I am breaking down and I want to "add" Win 95 to my system. Presently:
>I have an Intel Pent. 133 with a 4 gig HD and 32 Meg ram.  The 4 Gig is
>broken down as:
>Drive Ltr    Function     Size
>    C:         Dos        511M
>    D:       Win 3.11     511M
>    E:       Docs         511M
>    F:       Database     511M
>    G:        CAD         511M
>    H:       Office Suite 463M
>    I:         Net        463M
>    J:       Win Swap     419M
>
>Drives K: thru P: are on a 1.2 Gig that I will be replacing with a 6.4
>Gig.  I want the 6.4 gig to be the Hard Drive for the Windows 95 program
>and operate as a fat 32 drive.
>
>I have Partition Magic 3.0, but I cannot make sense out of it.  I know
>partition magic can make a multiboot section, but it also says that all
>boot programs must be within the first 1024 cylinders of the first hard
>drive.  What does that mean?

The last time I saw something complain about the first 1024 cylinders for
booting was when my roommate was installing Free Sco Unixware. Finally
tracked the cause down to the mode in which the bios was using the hard
disk. Check in your bios settings and you should find some options for hard
disk settings along the lines Normal, LBA, and I think it's Large. Make sure
that the 4 gig and the 6 gig are both set for LBA. If there's no problem
there, keep reading. There might be another solution.

>Do I have to make my first four drive sections as follows: Part Magic
>Boot, Dos, Win 3.11 and Win 95?

>If I decide to add Linux later, will I also have to put another
>partition to hold that OS within this 1024 Cyl barrier?  How About OS/2?

I can't say for partition magic, but I can reccomend an alternative if you
don't mind spending a few more bucks on some more software. Look for
something called System Commander from V Communications. I have 7 gig hard
disk partitioned in half with fat 32 in one half and NTFS (WinNT) in the
other and System Commander lets me boot either with absolutely no problems.
System Commander goes by partition. It really doesn't care about cylynders
or anything like that. I have not tried it with any of these, but it also
supports OS/2, all forms of DOS, Netware, a dozen different flavors of Unix
(including Linux) and even CP/M!

>If I have Win 95 (OSR2) loaded, can it easily work with two drives, one
>with a fat 16 form and the other with a fat 32 form without problems?

Yes, OSR2 will work fine with both file systems at the same time.

>And Lastly, even if Win 95 can operate with the two Fat systems, would
>it be able to see all of the drives on the 4 gig HD, even though the 6.4
>would primarily have all of the Win 95 files?

Win95 will see any drive that is formatted in a file system that it can
read. Basically, any drive formatted in FAT16 or FAT32

>Jean Bourvic :>))
>It is always easier to critique than it is to learn!
Hope that helps. Somebody let me know if I screwed anything up. It's 1:41am
here and I really need to get to bed.

--
Adam Gonsman

                                  -----