Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:26:22 -0500
Hello!

Purslane is  high in oxalates and should be used with caution by
persons
with kidney stones.

Earlier I had posted that persons on a high protein diet had a higher risk
of kidney disease and kidney stones, and the incidence of this was on the
rise in the US.

The web site I got this info from is:
http://members.aol.com/rogerbaxtr/pages/Kidney_Stone_Page.html

I have a web resource that suggests that purslane is not recommended for
persons with kidney stones.

The resource is:

http://dialysis.ml.org/renal/messages/diet/178.html

Both these resources were obtained by using common search engines.

Like Todd, I was unable to find a USDA analysis of oxalates in purslane.
Perhaps Todd can research wherethe data comes from.

>To my surprise, the USDA database lists purslane and gives a
>nutritional breakdown.  It does not give lipid information, other
>than to list total lipid content as a mere .1 gram per 100 grams.
>Well, that's not surprising.  It's another reason to favor animal
>sources of w-3 fats, since animals *concentrate* these fats.

Fats in animals also concentrate pesticides. Obviously fats from animal
sources are a double edged sword,
because they concentrate pesticides. I do not have actual numbers, because
of the amounts vary, depending on
which animal, fish, etc.

However, Rachel Carson, a Biologist, who wrote "Silent Spring" in the early
1960s,
documented the problem as a worldwide problem affecting even the penguins.
Rachel Carson was not a vegan or even a vegetarian.
Since the 60s, the problem has gotten worse? Is this fact controversial?
Is this not a concern for persons on a animal fat diet?
Is the burden of proof on the person who makes this statement or the
opposite satement?
A simple search of the web will confirm that pesticides  concentrate in
animal fats.

Mahesh [log in to unmask]