From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:09:00 -0400
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 07:03:50 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm not sure what you are saying here, Amadeus.  W-3 fats are
>needed by adults, not just for growing brains.
Hello Todd,
my impression from recent posts was, that there is a theory that
humans need so much of these w-3-fats because our brain is so big
(3 times bigger as apes').
And that eating brains was necessary (or making possible)
that our brains could *grow* so big.

I think this only counts in the build up phase of the brain, until
these 2 or 3 pounds of fat are complete.

Something else is the daily *consumption* of the bigger brain.
Is somebody supposing a bigger w-3 fat consumption of
 a bigger brain?

We do know that a bigger brain has a bigger *vitamin-b1* consumption.
(Did anybody read what I worte about it in my first post at this thread?
 It was below a citation block)

It made me smile to read about the squirrels' brain in annother post.

> The point here is
>that animals are the best source of EPA.  Yes, you can make EPA
>from plant-derived ALA, but no one yet knows the full
>implications of relying totally on plants for w-3 fats.
>
>Evolving humans didn't do this, so once again you are making use
>of a dietary innovation.

Wouldn't you agree that evolving humans did
get their APA/EPA supply from plants  *at least* up to
2 million years back from today?
(hominds are counted from 4 million years back from today).

The later hominids seem to have had both possibilities:
w3-fats from plants (purslane... and other "weed"
:-) )
or from mammal brains.
Since many humans of today never eat brain or fish, and stay
(reasonable) healthy, it appears as if we were not dependent on
brain or fish as a supply.

regards

Amadeus