From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:28:07 -0500
On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Charles Castellow wrote:

> (But since I'm not constrained to the use of a spear, I may have
> an infrequent beer too!)

Commercial beers are often "cold-filtered" to remove proteins.
This is because proteins impart off-flavors to beer.  When I used
to make home brew I had to use a low-tech method: adding "Irish
moss" (actually a kind of powdered seaweed) to the newly
fermented beer to precipitate the unwanted proteins to the bottom
of the fermenter.

Cold-filtering cannot remove *all* the grain proteins but it
certainly removes most of them, if that's any consolation.

Todd Moody