From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:57:56 -0800
On 17 Sep 98 at 23:03, John G. Cakars wrote:

> > Actually, it's been my experience that if he can change the external
> > clock to 66Mhz, the adapter on that upgrade will override the
> > multiplier.  He really can get 66MhzX3=200Mhz with those.  The only
> > gotcha is they use a WinChip processor.  Beats a blank but in the same
> > board at the same settings I got 25% better results out of an AMD
> > K6-200, a Multimedia CPU Upgrade adapter, and a fan.  Cost was very
> > similar.
>
> How would you change the external clock?

  That's the first rub.  Many -- I do not know if "most" applies --
P75 systems don't provide options like this; they were designed out
to cut costs.

> Are you saying that someone sells a CPU Upgrade adapter, including
> the CPU? Or do you buy this in pieces and put it together?  Who
> carries this?

  The PowerLeap "PowerStacker" is the best known of several brands of
upgrade adapter.  Evergreen essentially packages such an adapter and
a CPU as a single unit.

> The Evergreen unit that was order for the Packard Bell P75,
> supposedly can handle socket 5 and 7.  Is the AMD K6-200 a socket 5
> CPU?  I thought it was a socket 7 CPU. Are socket 5 and socket 7
> CPU's interchangeable?  I was under the impression they were not.

  I believe a Socket 5 CPU will work just fine in a Socket 7, as long
as the board supplies the necessary voltage.  [Some early Pentiums
needed 3.54v instead of 3.3v.]
  What the adapter basically does is provide a Socket 7 for the
upgrade CPU, and only use the motherboard socket as if it were a
Socket 5.  Some of the configuration options that would be routed to
the motherboard on a Socket 7 machine are handled inside the adapter,
which may provide a row of jumpers along one edge.

  Because the K6 uses split IO/core voltages, it would be a very bad
idea to stick it directly into a Socket 5.  The adapter takes care of
that.

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**