From:
Rick Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:25:21 +0200
on the 22. July 1998 16:39 you asked:

>What would be the best cost-effective 2D card to
>get (4 or 8 MB)?  Would it be a waste for it to have
>3D capabilities since my voodoo chipset would
>already run my 3D programs?

Hi Chuck,

I'd can give you three choices

1: Cheapest No name S3 Virge with 4 MB works well
with win95/98 but don't expect no speed records. Good
desktop capabilities, but diablo might disappoint you

2: Fast and inexpensive:Matrox Mystique/Millenium 4MB
great 2 D card and goes nicely with a 3Dfx. Up until a
while ago I used this card with my canopus 3dfx.

3: My personal favorite: Diamond viper 330 4MB, good 2D
qualities AND thanx to the RIVA chipset a nice 3D card as
well. You get the best of both worlds. If a game doesn't
support one 3D card, usually it will support the other. I use
this with my Canopus II and it works without any problems.

I would personally only invest in a 4 MB 2D Card unless you
have a 21" monitor that you're planning to use. As for 3D
capabilities, most cards have at least rudimentary 3D
functions (even the virge is advertised as a 3D card) and
it certainly won't hurt to have them. These are my opinions,
of course and nothing starts discussions like graphic
hardware. I'm pretty sure you'll get plenty of suggestions
from other PCBUILDers. Take your time picking, the prices
can only fall.

Rick Swartz