From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 12:39:24 -0400
At 06:47 AM 5/6/1998 Jan Wilson wrote:

>>On 6 May 98, at 20:51, our friend [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>
>> I have lived for a decade and a half in Micronesia, on tropically humid and
>> hot, and dusty islands.  During these years, I have often wondered how best
>> to take care of floppies.
>
>We have the same problem in Belize, and I would love to hear an
>authoritative answer to your questions. . . .

Alan & Jan:

Being only subtropical in South Florida, this suggestion
may not be quite useful. But with my 35mm film, I keep it in
a tupperware (partial vacuum) and toss it in my refrigerator
or freezer. I do it to maintain color correctness of the film.
The temperature should retard fungi growth on your floppies.

When you need to use one, you'll have to leave it out (sealed)
to warm up to room temperature before use (to prevent
condensation). This idea doesn't recommend itself for frequent
use.

There must be a brand whose media is more resistant to
the topical environment. Perhaps diskettes made to military spec.

I agree, CDR is the way to go.

Regards,

John Chin