From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:26:21 -0400
Amadeus wrote:
>Aaron, unfortunately you don't tell us *how* to get a less acidy
>blood, according to Whiley and Watson. What his test-persons did.
>What *is* your claim?

Sorry, I thought that I had provided this information in an earlier post,
but my memory may be faulty.  The claim is that a high-protein, high-purine,
moderate-fat, low-carb diet will increase the alkalinity of the blood,
whereas a low-fat, low-purine, high-carb diet has the opposite effect.

>I mentioned protein rich foods as an acidity source.
>
>I've read also that several vegetables are acid-generating, for ex.
>unripe tomatoes, eggplant, unripe banana, Brussel sprouts.
>Also sugar is called to be very acid generating.
>But indeed it's difficult to find some data on the resulting
>acidity of foodstuffs.

The data wouldn't be relevant to blood pH, anyway.

>Could you shortly outline what Watson/Whiley supposed to eat,
>to get a proper blood acidity?
>Did they call it important to have a balanced blood acidity?

You can find copies of Wiley's diets at
http://bcn.net/~stoll/archives/bob/b071998.html.  Unfortunately, you'll have
to scroll through the list of archived messages in order to find them.  The
link http://bcn.net/~stoll/archives/bob/b071998.html#hg will take you
directly to the diet for people with acidic blood.

I don't remember Watson emphasizing the importance of a balanced blood pH,
except as an indicator of good health.  Wiley did seem to believe that a
balanced venous blood pH (about 7.46) was intrinsically important, but I'm
not sure whether he explained why.  As Robert McFerran pointed out,
efficient protein synthesis requires a balanced pH; since protein synthesis
is needed to manufacture enzymes and hormones, to regenerate the intestinal
lining, etc., "BioBalance" is very important.  People tend to focus on
whether we're ingesting enough protein, instead of asking whether we are
synthesizing protein properly (dietary protein is broken down into its
constituent amino acids, which are then used to build new proteins).

>Well urine-test is an easy way to test our own acidity.
>And test if the diet mentioned above by you works.
>Just piss on a little
>test-strip.
>I myself seldom manage to get a ph above 7, but normally don't
>have one below  6.2 . Still didn't test after my current protein increase.

As I've said before, I don't think there's much of a connection between
urinary and blood pH.  However, I've got a physical examination scheduled
for next month, so I'll soon know how my uric acid level has changed since
adopting a meat-based diet.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland