From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:37:05 -0500
-----------------------------------
>yams_expert = Dr. Desmond Mortley
>question = Wich part of the world is the origin of (wild) yams?
>Is yams edible raw?
>        Thank you for your interest!
>        Phil Loretan, Tuskegee University,Tuskegee, AL 36088

Thank you Hans.  I remembered your post 2-3 months ago and tried to
search for this information on the internet (unsuccessfully).  Is there a
web page or other way for me to get this info for myself?  An email
address?

If we use cooking as a paleo option, then it certainly seems okay to eat
yams, legumes, and then even grains.  I suppose the new criteria for good
or bad then would be the health effects these foods have on us, not just
whether they are available using only a stick.  In good paleo style, this
should lead us to the same conclusions anyway :) (i.e., that grains are
bad, etc.)

There has been a flurry of posts on the CR list about paleo foods since I
mentioned the topic a couple of months ago.  There is one account of an
Oregon Indian tribe in the desert, and many very specific foods they
gathered and ate.  If there is any interest I would be glad to post this
to this list.  Warning - they gathered a few grains...

James Crocker
"Violence is the last refuge of the
 incompetent." - Salvor Hardin