From:
Stan and Cory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 00:28:16 -0400
Todd, in response to your question about what the body does with dietary
fatty acids in excess of its energy needs, it seems your assumption they
are excreted is correct.  Dr. Anchell writes, "If too much meat is eaten by
an individual, his body takes what it needs for building and energy
purposes and then completely breaks down what is left over into end
products, which are readily excreted from the kidneys, lungs, sweat glands,
and intestines.  The body knows its own needs, and when given the proper
food will maintain itself in a perfect state of equilibrium - neither too
fat nor too thin."

He further states, "For unknown reasons, (Ray has given us a plausible
one!) man's organs are appropriate for the intake of meat, but not plants.
The eating of grain and other products grown from the soil satisfies our
taste buds, but confuses our bodies' chemical laboratories.  They simply do
not know how to completely utilize these other foods, i.e., grains,
vegetables, fruits, sugars, and other carbohydrates.  The human body
utilizes these plant foods as best it can, but is unable to entirely digest
and use them.  Consequently, more of these foods must be eaten to supply
the energy that an equivalent amount of meat would provide.  Carbohydrates
are broken down into simple and complex sugars and, as such, supply energy.
 But if too much carbohydrate is eaten, the only thing the body can do with
it is to store it as fat - excess fat, unneeded fat, the kind of fat that
is a slow cancer.  A person can eat as much or as little protein and fat
from animal products as he wants without becoming overweight, providing the
use of carbohydrate (sugar) foods is precisely controlled."

I wonder what a large handful of macademia nuts , about once a week, would
do to this regimen?!  They are my weakness!

Dr. George Watson's research on metabolic differences......Dr. Anchell did
not list Watson in his bibliography of almost 80 items.  Dr. Anchell's
mentor was Dr. A.W. Pennington, who in l950 was an internist for the DuPont
Company in Wilmington, Delaware, and found that many of the company's
executives and staffers were overweight.  His resultant studies of this
issue, were published in the "Clinical Journal of Nutrition" and the "New
England Journal of Medicine"......and it was his findings that Anchell
confirmed and developed to confront his own obese condition about 40 years
ago.

I do not know chemistry and the relevant difference between pyruvate and
pyruvic acid to engage in discussion on this issue.  I strongly agree with
Ray that the proof is in the fact that this diet approach works!  Science
has only lightly scratched the surface of the multitudinous chemical
reactions taking place within and without our body forms.

I personally know that my musculature and energy have increased in the two
months that I've been on Paleo....and after several years of Iyengar yoga,
all at once I've become much more adept at accomplishing the postures!
What benefits have you other Paleos observed?

Cory