From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:30:48 -0700
Todd Moody asks:

.  I wonder if the
>matter of body composition really has been studied in
>evolutionary terms.  Has anyone read anything about this?

One can make inferences about muscular power from skeletal
remains.Measurements are taken of the tuberosities, or bony points where
muscles and tendons were originated and inserted. Bone becomes reinforced,
or thickened in proportion to the stresses put on it. Since the muscles are
the intermediaries which transfer mechanical stress from the environment to
the skeleton, a strong man will tend to have thicker bones, particularly at
points of muscle attachment, than a weaker man. Similarly, a tennis player
typically has thicker bony cortex in his dominant arm.

From determinations of force exerted, it's a short jump to assertions about
muscular size, since there is a general proportionality there also.

Overall, dense skeletons with well developed tuberosities, indicate
relatively heavy muscularity.

I have several comments re muscularity, and its uses beyond cosmetics. One
is that a great deal of pleasure is mediated by muscular exertion. I spent
several hours today hitting a tennis ball as hard as I could, and the only
things I can think of that give more, all require an intimate connection.
Not to mention its hard to stretch them out for two hours!

Second, a lot of old people run out of the muscle power to do the simple
things that life requires, even in America. Getting up from a chair,
carrying a bag of groceries, etc, etc. We are all going to lose mass as we
go down the road of life. Why not start with a full tank?

Respectfully,
Michael