From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 07:33:25 -0400
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:31:23 -0400, Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I wrote:
>> I'd call the use of protein as a caloric source for the body as
>> least desireable because it offers some drawbacks compared to the
>> other sources (fat and carbohydrates).
>> - protein breakdown causes the body-ph to go to the acid-side (acidification)
>>   this causes additional calcium needs which might be taken from your bones.
>>   acidification might have some other severe drawbacks found in literature
>>   (hair loss, for ex)

>I remember seeing studies that have debunked this. Maybe somebody on the list
>has references handy (I believe I saw them on lowcarb-l list)

I may quote Loren Cordaine from Paleodiet where I found:
..."
Additionally, bone mass is also dependent upon the relative
acid/alkaline dietary load (2,3).   Acid generated by the diet is
excreted in the urine and can cause calciuresis.   Meat and fish have a
high potential renal acid load (PRAL) whereas fruits and vegetables have
a negative PRAL, meaning they reduce acid excretion.   The human kidney
cannot excrete urine with a pH lower than 5; consequently  the acids
(mainly phosphate and sulfate) of acid producing foods such as meats,
fish and some cereals must be buffered partially by calcium  which is
ultimately derived from the skeleton (2,3).
"... end of quote

Whole thing is at:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9806&L=paleodiet&F=&S=&P=266

IMO quite a reason *not* to consume over protein or protein as
a caloric source.

regards

Amadeus