From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:18:43 -0400
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Aaron D. Wieland wrote:

> As far as I know, there is no consensus on the ideal cholesterol level; some
> people would consider 119 dangerously low, yet Eaton reported an average of
> 125 among modern hunter-gatherers.

Total cholesterol below 140 is statistically associated with a
higher death rate from things such as violence and suicide.
There is, however, nothing to indicate that the low cholesterol
plays a causal role in these deaths.  Unusually low cholesterol
can also be a sign of cancer.  My mother had been on
cholesterol-lowering medications for years, with very limited
effect.  Then, a year and a half ago, her cholesterol began to
drop sharply, to the point where she reduced and then
discontinued her meds (without telling her doctor, of course).
It continued to drop.  She was soon diagnosed with colon cancer.

In short, against the background of a standard American diet and
lifestyle, a very low cholesterol reading *might* be an
indication that something is wrong.  Against the background of a
hunter-gatherer diet and lifestyle or Biosphere, it might mean
that something is right.  And it might indeed mean that CR and
HG diets do have some significant points in common, as James
Crocker contends.

Todd Moody