From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:02:09 EDT
In a message dated 8/19/98 2:36:23 PM:

<<I also prefer red sockeye salmon to pink. Red salmon has the
most Omega-3s.

I eat canned salmon as well, as it is a rich source of the two omega-3s, EPA
and DHA.   But I was surprised several months ago when I searched the USDA
food database for the lipid content of pink vs. red (sockeye) salmon.

The values for pink salmon (100 grams) are:

20:5 (EPA)              .845g
22:6 (DHA)              .806g

For red sockeye salmon (100 grams):

20:5                    .492g
22:6                    .664g

If the USDA values are to be believed, pink salmon actually comes out way
ahead, with much more EPA, and a little more DHA than red salmon.

-John M