From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 02:37:12 -0700
>Also, Mike and I, after 10 and 7 years of vegetarianism respectively had
>some sardines and clams last night.  Sardines seem high in calcium and
>clams high in iron.  I would appreciate any info on other types of
>seafood that have high nutrition value.
>
>Lisa

HI Lisa,
Really, all seafood have high nutritonal value. Farmed fish might be
something of an exception, since they are fed grain chow just like cattle in
a fed lot. In fact, a catfish farm, or an Idaho trout farm, or a salmon
farm, are really just aquatic feed lots, and very efficient ones at that.

But most of the other fish are wild, and are therefore pretty close to
perfect paleo diet. Even farmed oysters and clams are only farmed in the
sense that the beds are controlled, they still sift the sea for plankton.

Salmon, herring, makerel, and a few other fish are really rich in Omega-3
fatty acids, which are considered by many authorities to be very important,
and also hard to get in ordinary food.

Oysters are loaded with zinc, because of the connection of zinc with sexual
health, that may be why oysters enjoy a reputation as aphrodisiacs.

All finfish are high in protein, and the wild ones will have very little
saturated fat, or Omega 6 polyunsaterated fatty acids.

Finally, many studies have shown empirically, if people eat fish, they tend
to live longer. Sounds good, eh?

Buji