From:
Dave Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:01:01 -0700
Greetings again.

The recent topic of Lewis and Clark has prompted me to break open my copy
of their journal and see what I can find of paleo-interest.  I have made posts of
this nature in the past and they were well received - well at least there were no
more death threats than I normally receive in the course of
a day.  :-)

My copy of The Journals of Lewis and Clarke is, unfortunately, a condensed
version.  Sorry, but it is all I have been able to find.  My copy is edited by
Bernard DeVoto and is published by the Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston,
Copyright 1953 by Bernard DeVoto, fourth printing, Sentry Edition C, Library of
Congress Card Number: 53-9244.

The name in square parenthesis at the head of the article is the name of the
author.  I have retained the spelling that is in the journal.  I have not preserved
italicized text or accent marks, as I don't know how transportable these would
be across systems.

Members:
        The party consisted of: nine young men from Kentucky; 14 soldiers of
the United States Army, who volunteered their services; two French watermen
[Cruzatte, Labiche]; and interpreter and hunter [Drewyer]; and a black servant
[York] belonging to captain Clarke.  All these except the last were enlisted to
serve as privates during the expedition, and three sergeants appointed from
amongst them by the captains [Odrway, Pryor, and Floyd].  In addition to these
were engaged a corporal and six soldiers, and nine watermen, to accompany
the expedition as far as the Mandan nation, in order to assist in carrying the
stores or repelling an attack, which was most to be apprehended between
Wood River and that tribe.  The party was to embark on board of three boats;
the first was a keelboat fifty-five feet long, drawing three feet of water, carrying
one large squaresail and twenty-two oars.  A deck of ten feet in the bow and
stern formed a forecastle and cabin, while the middle was covered by lockers,
which might be raised so as to form a breastwork in case of attack.  This was
accompanied by two perioques [pirogues] or open boats, one of six and the
other of seven oars.  Two horses were at the same time to be led along the
banks of the river for the purpose of bringing home game or hunting in case of
scarcity.

     Dave Chapman