From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 04:11:35 -0700
Don Wiss wrote:
> >If I understand the chemistry correctly (doubtful), a
> >saturated fat cannot be artificially hydrogenated precisely
> >because the term "saturation" means that it is naturally
> >hydrogenated.  When polyunsaturated fats are hydrogenated they
> >are in fact artificially "saturated" with hydrogen atoms.
>
> Uh, stop by your grocery store and look at a package of lard. You will find
> that is is partially hydrogenated.

Which doesn't mean that Todd is wrong that saturated fats can't be
hydrogenated. A fatty acid molecule that has a hydrogen molecule at
every available place along the carbon chain is a SFA molecule, and
can't be hydrogenated.

However, I'm sure that both coconut oil and lard contain a variety
of fatty acid molecules. No doubt some of these are not fully saturated,
and these substances could therefore be artifically hydrogenated,
at least partially.