From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 00:04:20 -0400
Paula wrote:

> .  The annual death rate of vegetarian women is .86
> percent; the annual death rate of non-vegetarian women is .54 percent.
> This was reported in the American Journal of Epidemiology in 1973
> (97:372),......."
>
> Paula H.

  What was the population for the study;  i.e.,  it would make a very large
differernce if the study included or was limited to a third world
country/countries.  Was the study inclusive of all types of vegetarian diets
or a particular type?   Was there a theory to explain the result? Aren't
there some studies that show the opposite?  My attraction to the paleo diet
is the logic of  deriving a way of eating from the evolutionary record
rather than industrial/agricultural  expediency;  but I am extremely
skeptical of this or that epidemiological study being trotted out without
some profile of the parameters and credentials of the researchers.  Rick