From:
EllaLane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:06:50 EDT

<<   However, the
 intent is not to hurt, just as the intent is not to hurt an animal if you are
 forced to kill that animal for your own survival, the kill is innocent, you
 are just feeding, whereas, if you are killing the animal just for kicks, or
 see it bleed, then that is sadistic, and no one is served by that.

 I think that's why tropical hunter/gatherer tribes eat only a small portion
of
 their diet as meat, because their plant diet mostly nourishes them, whereas
 Eskimoes are forced by their circumstance in life, to hunt constantly for
 survival, not to hurt or kill animals for sport. >>

So, I understand that you think all people who hunt for sport are sadistic?
There are plenty of chickens, cows, and pigs being butchered by someone so
that you can buy the meat at your liesure from the store.  I too preferred to
close my eyes and pretend meat from the supermarket came from someplace that
was nice and friendly to animals, but in reality we know that that ain't so.
After meeting hunters personally, like Ray, and hearing them describe their
experiences, I get a different message about it.  Yes, there are probably
those that do not respect nature who wield a gun, but I think there are plenty
of hunters who identify with nature in a far more personal manner than most of
us urbanites who have never tried it.  Part of appreciating Neanderthin is
appreciating the fact that we genetically evolved to be hunter/gatherers, and
that is the most natural part of our make-up culturally, physically, and
psycologically.  The Paleolithic Prescription by Boyd S. Eaton does an
excellent job on discussing that theme.  There also other excellent references
about the subject in the bibliography of Neanderthin.
Ella