From:
LIFE F0RCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:06:13 EDT
Todd:
<< The other issue, of course, is the problem of maladaptation to paleodiet.
Is that what Karsten Andersen's hyperlipidemia showed, or was something else
going on?>>

Is this a paper? Where can it be found? Thanks.

Grant:
<< Everyday is a "new" beginning for some members who must be allowed "to
test"
their thoughts, struggle with their "baggage" and cut a "new" path >>

Wise words!! Good moderating!! Much appreciated.

Aaron Wieland:
<< If the Inuit do well on a meat-rich diet and the Aborigines do well on a
meat-poor
diet, it tells you nothing about what *you* need.  Your implicit assumption is
that everyone has the same dietary requirements.  While I would agree that we
are more similar than we are different, the differences are nonetheless
significant. >>

HALLELUJAH!!! Man oh man - HOW many times does this have to be said? Evidently
as many times as there are people in the world. Anyway - thank you for saying
it again. ANYONE who has experience with large numbers of people and their
diets, will tell you that this is true.

Claudia:
<< Her coach is a sports medicine undergrad and has a masters in nutrition.
She says you need at least 30% carbohydrates to avoid pulling protein out of
your muscles. >>

In the field of mainstream nutrition there is much controversy over the
percentages of macronutrients necessary. Generally the widest range is (Carb-
Fat-Protein) 70-15-15  to 30-40-40.

Micheal:
<< What does pull protein out of muscles is starvation, ie. going for long
periods without eating.>>

I don't know if you meant to differentiate, but I just wanted to make it clear
that fasting and starvation are entirely different physiological processes.
Fasting does not 'pull' protein out of the muscles, if done correctly (with
complete rest). The amazing recuperative power of fasting is in fact precisely
the fact that fasting is a protein-sparing process, and thus uses excess fat
tissue (wherein toxins and waste are stored) and other unwanted tissue as a
source for energy production (ketosis).  Just a clarification, in case one was
needed, and a plug for the terrific benefits of fasting

Kent:
<<  If you believe in the paleo diet,>>

I don't think its a good idea to "believe in" a diet. A diet is just a useful
tool, to be used as flexibly as possible in order to adjust to individual
constitutions. That is all it is. It is not a religion, a moral code, or a
profound philosophy, and it should not be a statement. Its just a bunch of
different food.

Phyllis:
<< I tell people that grains were developed by government as a way to control
people>>

Do you this to tell Japanese people too? ;-)

Ella:
<< the quality of proteins..... is why the paleo or hunter/gatherer diet would
be a healthier diet for all humans in general.>>

There is no such thing as a healthier diet for all humans in general. ;-O
Every human is completely unlike every other human ever created, or that ever
will be. It makes life much more interesting, and far less simple. ;-)

T Martin:
<< a diet high in whole grains produces BMs so large that you can't even tell
whether they float or not.>>

Hah!!! Funny!! Yes - we have had those around here - especially on a day where
we have a lot of fruit, following a day of gluttony. ;-))

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)