From:
Bill Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 00:39:51 -0500
LIFE F0RCE wrote:

> Liza:
> As far as the risks, it's important to remember that wine contains many other
> substances besides the alcohol which are problematic - such as an enormous
> amount of sugar, many calories, sulfites (to which many are allergic), and
> residues of all the most dangerous of pesticides (those used on grapes may be
> the very worst).

I may be wrong but I believe that unless your wine has been sweetened after
fermentation, there is no sugar in it.  During the fermentation process the yeast
consumes the sugar and produce equal amounts of CO2 and alcohol.  Unless this
process is interrupted by pasteurizing or some other condition that kills the
yeast there will be no sugar left.  If it is bottled before all of the sugar is
consumed, and the yeast is not dead, any yeast that is still in suspension will
cause it to carbonate in the bottle.  I know more about the make-up of beer than
wine but the fermentation process is still the same.