From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:05:27 -0500
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Marc Harmon wrote:

> On 3/26/98 7:25 PM, Todd Moody said:
>
> >This is incorrect.  Protein consumption causes insulin
> >production, albeit less than carb consumption.  Also, a no-carb
> >diet initiates ketosis, and ketones trigger insulin production.
> >So, while it is true that a no-carb diet keeps insulin levels
> >low, it certainly doesn't stop insulin production.  Furthermore,
> >it is far from clear that a no-carb diet keeps insulin levels
> >significantly lower than just a low-carb diet.
> Dear Todd,
>     I've got a letter into my source regarding this.  Thanks for your
> input.  I was wondering where you got your information.
> Jacki

In _Protein Power_ the Eades have a table comparing insulin and
glucagon responses to various macronutrients and combinations
thereof.  Of course, this is just an approximation.  All proteins
are not equal in their tendency to promote insulin and glucagon
release.  Furthermore, saturated fats tend to increase insulin
resistance, so that whatever insulin is produced on a no-carb
diet will tend to stick around longer.  Thus, for the lowest
possible insulin levels one would need to avoid carbs *and*
saturated fats and ketones.  I'm not sure there is any good
reason to go that far, however.

Todd Moody