Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:11:40 -0800
Seeing a lot of recent discussion of flax seed (especially on the
low-carb list), I joined the bandwagon and tried it. Ground it in the
blender to a meal, but found it not very enjoyable to eat by itself. It
tended to stick to the inside of my mouth in a decidedly unpleasant way.

But the color and texture reminded me of the powdered meat for making
Pemmican, and so on a whim I made a batch of Pemmican using the flax
seed meal as an "extender".

Well, the result seems to be satisfactory--good texture, taste is very
similar to "pure" Pemmican, though a bit diluted. I added maybe 50% flax
meal by volume and got at least 50% more yield (seems to be even
higher), but I didn't measure. Maybe wishful thinking, but anyway it
would seem to be economical (flax seed is very cheap here) and also to
improve the N3/N6 ratio.

I guess it's debatable whether it's really Paleo, but if your regimen
includes flax seed and Pemmican, you may want to try this experiment for
yourself.

Tom Addison
Wiesbaden, Germany