NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Carrie L. Micko" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:00:02 -0600
Saw the postings in January about milk-free bread recipes (I
subscribed after that). Have you tried using potato water?
Boil potatoes without salt, save the water, freeze in cubes
and substitute some of the liquid in the recipe with them.
Yeast loves it. In wheat breads it improves texture and
keeping qualities. I've also baked spelt bread and kamut
bread using just water and was pleased with results. Note,
there is only one rising--right in the pan. If you need a
recipe, let me know.

Also, has anyone successfully made yogurt with soy milk? I
tried by using a commercial soy yogurt as a starter. After 5
days of incubating it finally sort of started to look like
it was thickening, but even though it still smelled ok I was
afraid to eat it after 5 days at 90 degrees. Saw in the
archives that someone had success with coconut milk, will
try it. Has anyone tried rice milk?
Carrie Micko-author No Meat, No Milk, NO PROBLEM!