CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne E Hameister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:03:16 -0400

Fran wrote:  "..wonder if official GF status has since been established?"

This is an issue of contamination.  My explanation to the Celiac group is
that taxonomy is NOT the gluten problem for quinoa or the other  minor
grains (amaranth, millet, etc).  The possible problem is process
contamination (harvesting, milling) and at this point we must rely on the
question of how much gluten is too much and do the contaminated grains
reach that point.  The other issue that must be addressed is the additive
factor:  Suppose each of several products you eat during the day fall
*below* the acceptable limit, but the total  *exceeds* the limit.

I have to say these things because researchers have not done conclusive
testing on the levels of contamination, if it exists at all, and whether
or not differences exist within and among the specific brands and
batches.  The logical possibility of gluten contamination is there;
whether or not it exists is another question to be researched/tested and
the seriousness of the degree of contamination, if it exists, is still
another.

Joanne Hameister