CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:09:08 +0000

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure I have coeliac disease but seems likely.

The hospital lab lost my blood sample between the ward and the path lab to
test for the coeliac antigen.

I've lived with diabetes for 19 + years and am currently on Insulatard
(NPH) and Humalog (Lispro) with metformin which I'm trying to phase out.
For the past year I have been using low carb allied with low-glycemic
index guidelines as my way of eating (WOE).  This has helped me cut in
half my insulin requirements plus losing half of the insulin-induced
weight gain.  This is helping blood pressure etc.

As I have had several bouts of gastro-intestinal "distress" lasting
several days which couldn't be attributed to any other reason than carbs
such as wheat, rice, potatoes etc it seems possible I have this companion
disease to DM.  Low carb works for me (most of the time) in controlling
this problem.  So here I am trying to find out a bit more - just in
case.... ;-)

BTW I'm a newly turned half-centenarian ;-(, psychologist who is also
recovering from a broken back etc...  Looking forward to listening and
learning....

best wishes

Rhoda Martin (here in the UK)
mailto:[log in to unmask]