BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:44:13 +0000
Michael Davidson wrote:

> Aug 8 I got to go talk scaffold in New York for a project on CP West

You need to have a special rigger license to hang a scaffold in NYC. Talk to me
in private on that topic.
The "scaffolding" that fell was an elevator tower. I'm not sure who erected it, I
have not had time to read all of the newspaper clippins that have pile dup on my
desk. We keep close attention on scaffolding accidents in NYC.
OSHA has had an order for several years for their inspectors to target hanging
rigs. The city is not in the habit of inspecting hanging rigs... there are too
many rigs hanging and not enough inspectors.
If you hang a rig with cantilever weights you have to get a permit, but if you
hang them with c-hooks you do not.
This makes little sense as c--hooks supported from parapets are actually more
dangerous than cantilevers. But there was at least one incident of a crew not
using any weights on their cantilevers and when they wanted to go up on the
scaffold they actually pulled the beams down and one mechanic was impalled.

I will be in Iowa on 8/8.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/5836