Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 19:51:47 -0400
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Mahesh wrote:

> He found humans and squirrels to have the highest. This is not to suggest we
> should eat squirrel brains! Squirrels are very resourceful and intelligent
> compared to their brain size. Has anyone seen the video shows of how they
> find their way through mazes and obstacles to get to a bird feeder?
> Squirrels obviously synthesize their DHA from nuts.

And yet, most nuts that I have checked have little w-3 fatty
acids.  In fact, the LA:LNA ratio tends to be quite high, and we
are told these days that this is not good.  I'm eating a lot of
nuts lately, and therefore going out of my way to get w-3 fats to
balance the load.

> Dr. Crawford advocates use of fish for omega-3; I feel this is partly
> because he is also affiliated with world fishery organizations. I asked him
> about flax seed and he said it was ok. I personally think it is very risky
> to eat fish, especially nowadays.
> There is a variety of plankton that has the DHA (that is where the fish get
> theirs).

The theoretical reason to prefer fish is that EPA does not
compete for the D6D enzyme, allowing the linoleic acid to GLA
conversion to proceed without constraint.  I don't think anyone
really knows yet how significant this is.

Todd Moody