Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:39:13 -0400
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:10:39 -0700, Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>12/24/97,Reuters- "Higher Fat Diet Reduces Stroke Risk?"
>"In the new study, the risk of having a stroke dropped 15% for every 3%
>increase in energy gained from total fat and dropped 9% for every 1%
>increase in saturated fat, the type found in meat and dairy products. The
>stroke risk declined 11% for every 1% increase in monounsaturated fat
>intake, the type of fat found in canola, nut and olive oil, according to
>a report in the current issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

What good news for one like me, who eats really plenty of several
fats (oils), and mostly olive oil type "nativ vergine extra".
Did they test how it was *without* these monounsaturated fats?
That's the  main difference in the mediterraneean diet, which
is known to be much healthier for hearts.
They add much olive oil whereas northern westeners
eat overwhelmingly dairy and other animal fats.

>There was no protective effect of polyunsaturated fat, which is found in
>fish and vegetable oils."
Still, polyunsaturated fats are essential stuff,
they have vitamin character (10g/day recommended).

cheers
Amadeus