Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:52:44 -0500
On 09/18/98 16:00:58 you wrote:
>From:    Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Caloric Requirements
>
>On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, James Crocker wrote:
>
>> >If you want to be big and strong you are going to eat alot.
>> If you want to be healthy and live a long time, you are going to eat a
little. :)

>From an evolutionary perspective, being able to eat more calories
>without gaining fat does not make a lot of sense.  Since fat is
>how energy is stored, it seems that being able to store fat
>readily would be an advantage,
Exactly, which is why extra calories on a paleo diet will make you
fatter, just like on any other diet.  I don't believe the healthier types
of foods on paleo makes this simple principle of input, output, and
accumulation go away.  If people want to argue that they can eat all they
want without gaining any weight, how advantageous would their diet be in
the wild?  No spare tire to get you through the hard times...?

>unless the supply of calories was continuously overabundant.  It's
>doubtful that this was the case most of the time.
Obviously not, since we have physiological survival mechanisms to deal
with starvation and otherwise lower food consumption.

>------------------------------
>From:    Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: "Non-paleo" wild foods
>I think it is a mistake to place all legumes under a single
>interdict, just as it would be a mistake to think of all berries
>as edible simply because many berries are.  It would be more
>useful to find out which legumes ancient HGs did eat or could
>have eaten.

I agree entirely.  Gathering with a sharp stick seem much easier and more
successful than hunting.  Regardless of that opinion, edible goods in the
raw state certianly fit this definition of paleo.  Your points are really
very good here Todd.

>------------------------------
>From:    Mahesh <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: PALEOFOOD  Use of toilet paper on paleo-diet
>To me , a true paleo diet would not require the use of toilet paper.
>For instance, on my raw diet, the toilet paper always comes out clean.
This is really an excellent point, although I think people would rather
forget about it and act like it is of no importance.  A diet very high in
fiber (much higher than mostly meat diets) can produce this, but I think
a mostly meat diet would have trouble in this area.  The tendancy to have
messy stools would seem like a definite disadvantage, evolutionarily.  It
seems like it would cause filth, disease and parasites to increase.
Animals don't use TP, but they naturally eat the diets they are adapted
to.  Perhaps this is a very good indicator of what types of diets humans
should eat as well.

>Anyone care to share their experiences on their diet?
This is getting kind of personal, but I will say that the more raw (plant
matter) the better in this department.

James Crocker
"Violence is the last refuge of the
 incompetent." - Salvor Hardin