Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 22:32:34 -0500
Amadeus,

I enjoy your posts very much, and I find the information you present to be very interesting and
useful.  Please continue posting this kind of information.

Is the purpose of this list to support people trying to follow a paleolithic diet, or for people
eating large amounts of meat?

This is a serious question, and I am not trying to start any arguments.

It seems very obvious to me that eating things only available to a person in the wild with a
stick would include a wide variety of foods.  These foods definitely include lots of wild
greens, nuts, fruits and berries (in season), and probably some meat and tubers, at least when
cooking was around.  Insects and other small animal forms of protein could be significant as
well.

To assume that the hunter gatherer has one type of diet seems kind of perposterous to me.  Over
the course of history there have been many different peoples, living in different times, eating
a wide variety of foods.  Humans are obviously omnivores, and seem to do very well on several
types of diet.  Are people trying to indicate that there is only one, truly ideal diet for
humans?  I strongly doubt that this is true.  Much more important is individual physiologies,
including food allergies, intolerances, and bio-factors which increase susceptibility to certain
diseases (like heart disease).

One may argue that during ice ages there was limited carbs, and therefore model an "ideal" paleo
diet as being mostly meat.  But what about all the other times, like before and between ice
ages?  There is even seasonal change during an ice age.  During these times the natural
proliferation of plants would be a ready source of food for the H/G.

If we model a high meat diet off people like the Eskimo, it seems important to eat the foods
they eat (lots of fish, not lots of pig meat, etc.) not just more animal protein.

We are not currently living in an ice age, so does that mean we should eat as if we were
actually in an ice age?  Are most people on this list eating a higher than average amount of
meat in place of carbs?

Again, these are real questions and points.  I am not trying to start a flame war on this list.
Thanks in advance for your considerate responses.

James Crocker

Space travel is utter bilge.
    -Woolley, Richard (U.K. Astronomer Royal)
     (In 1956, the year before Sputnik)