From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:32:11 -0400

Gaytan Fernando wrote:

>   there is only one factor that is not checking with the celiac
>simptoms description, I have read a lot of information in this site and
>always mention that being anemic (iron deficiency (anemia)) and with weight
>loss is part of the main simptoms.

(1) Anemia is the most common diagnosis prior to a celiac diagnosis. This
was shown in the Canadian Celiac Assoc. survey done in the early 90's and
the ongoing survey being done by the Celiac Disease Foundation. But even
being the most common does not mean that 100% have this. Here is a section
of the Canadian survey:

                              Respondents (%)
                       Biopsy Proven   Not Biopsy Proven
Diagnosis                 (N=686)           (N=145)
---------              -------------   -----------------
Anemia                      47%               30%
Stress                      45                39
Nervous condition           41                39
Irritable bowel             34                43
Stomach ulcer               23                14
Food allergy                19                32
Colitis                     13                23
Menstrual problems          13                17
Edema                        9                 8
Gallstones                   9                10
Diverticulitis               6                 9
Dermatitis Herpetiformis     4                 5
Other                       36                39

(2) Dr. Joe Murray has diagnosed three celiac patients over 400 lbs. You
will get no shortage of anecdotes sent to you from other subscribers saying
they were overweight at diagnosis.

Don (in Brooklyn).