From:
Leslie Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 18:36:07 -0700

I had so many responses regarding my question about muscle spasms in my
legs, which I now believe are "fasciculations".  Thanks so much to all
of you for your advise and kind comments.  I will briefly summarize but
let me know if something interests you and I will pass the applicable
postings along.

There seem to be two types of responders - those who have improved on a
GF diet and those who suffer independent of celiac.  Suggested cause was
most often anemia or low ferritin levels, B12 and folates deficency, and
other vitamin or mineral deficiencies (calcium, magnesium, potassium,
vitamin C, and zinc and sodium). Other possible causes were electrolyte
imbalances, stress, sitting with legs crossed, excessive exercize, heat,
tight clothing and some medications such as antidepressants and allergy
meds.

Recommended doses of the above vits/mins varied but it would appear B12
must be taken in conjunction with folate, magnesium and calcium should
not be taken at the same time as they compete for the same transport
mechanisms and ferrous gluconate was recommended as an iron supplement.

Two people believed the amino acid L- glutamine had been greatly
beneficial in helping to heal the gut and one suggested taking
megadohlus as well.  One person recommended Melaleuca Vitamins as being
easier to absorb.

Most everyone felt their symptoms worsened with gluten ingestion,and
other problem foods (rice & corn).

The Paleolithic Diet was suggested as being helpful because it is high
in saturated fats.  Other helpful diet items were leafy greens, lettuce,
strawberries, blueberries and cantalope for folates, and bananas for
potassium. One person felt better after drinking lots of milk and
several people suggested lots of fluid and water as being helpful.

Of thoses whose symptoms did not improve on a GF diet or who had
symptoms return, most were diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and
found various medications helpful - Dilantin, Permax, L Dopa/Carbadopa
and Klonopin.  An informative web site is www.rls.org.

There are some great ideas here for me to investigate further.  I take
most of the supplements now (B12 shots monthly, 5 mg. folates daily,
cal., mag., and zinc) but I will try to choke down a few bananas for the
potassium and will work harder on my anemia as my ferritin levels are
very low.  I suspect heat is a factor and I should drink more water.
The amino acids are certainly worth checking out.

As an aside one responder informed me that one of my local bakeries
makes a nice rice bread.  Thanks!

Leslie on Vancouver Island, BC