Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:30:06 -0600
From:
Beth Hill <[log in to unmask]>

I have about caught up with things after an 8 day backpacking trip.
This is the first year I was GF.  I am also sensitive to many other
common ingredients which made my meal planning challenging.  I was
successful and would like to relate my "menu".  I need to add the
footnote that I must also avoid:  soy, corn, dairy, oil seeds (sesame,
sunflower, flax...) and true nuts(almond, walnut, hazelnut...), coconut
and a few other misc. items. These items I brought require minimal
cooking and no refrigeration.  They would also be good for any travel
purposes, especially if you could boil water.  If you are interested,
proceed.

Enough of that, my food stuff sack contained:
  Darifree brand "milk"
  Homemade rice granola (recipe to follow)
  Homemade beanflour granola (recipe to follow)
  Cashew butter
  Raw cashews
  Salted in the shell peanuts (shelled before packing)  the salt was very
    welcome
  Potato flakes
  Instant rice
  Sardines in spring water (Brunswick brand, I get at K-Mart, on sale 2/$1)
  Homemade beef jerky (recipe to follow)
  Raisins, home dried cherries, home dried bananas, dates
  Bean soup mix - to add to rice, or use alone (recipe to follow)
  Lundberg rice cakes (this brand held up very well to repeated stuffings
    and tossing around, bulky - but the closest thing I can come to a trail
    bar.  I would spread cashew butter between and have some dried fruit)
  fresh fish (not in the food stuff sack)

As you can see we eat pretty simple, but easy to fix and clean up.

Jerky

Marinate top quality beef roast in 2T water/pound of meat and 1 t
salt/pound of meat.  Flavoring I used:  2T ginger root, 1 T grated
orange peel for terriyaki flavor.  And:  pizza seasoning, fresh ground
pepper for Italian seasoning.  The meat was first sliced with the grain.
Marinated for an hour, then dried in a food dehydrator.  Stored in
refrigerator or freezer until used.

Homemade rice granola (adapted from "Light Granola" , More From the
Gluten Free Gourmet, Bette Hagman)

6 c. GF crispy rice cereal
1 c peanuts
1 c cashews
1/2 t salt (if nuts are unsalted)
1/4 c honey
1/4 c olive oil
1 c raisins
1 c (or more) dired fruits (I used apricot, dates)

Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.  Mix cereal, nuts and salt in large
roasting pan.  In a small saucepan, combine the honey and oil.  Heat to
boiling, drizzle over cereal.  Stir well.  Bake for 2 hours, stirring
every 30 minutes.  Add the raisins and fruit, allow to cool down in the
oven.

Homemade Bean Flour Granola

Adapted from 'Grain-Free Granola', The Allergy self-help Cookbook,
Marjorie Hunt Jones.

1 1/2 c bean flour (chose this for the protein value it adds)
1 c chopped raw cashews
1/2 c potato starch
1/2 c raw peanuts
1 1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 c mashed banana or pureed fruit (I used banana and peach)
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c real maple syrup (or honey)
1 T lemon juice (or 1/4 t vitamin C crystals, added to dry ingredients)
1 1/2 t GF vanilla (I didn't use, haven't made mine yet)
2/3 c raisins
1 c chopped dried fruit (I used apricot, date, cherry)

Mix the flour, nuts, potato starch, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Mix
the banana or fruit puree, oil, syrup, lemon juice and vanilla in a
small bowl.  If honey is thick, heat to liquefy.  Pour the liquid over
the dry.  Stir well to coat.  If it seems dry, add water a T at a time.
(I had to add about 2 T.)  Spread mixture in large roasting pan, lightly
oiled.  Bake at 300 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15
minutes.  Remove from oven, then stir in dried fruits.

Black Bean Soup mix

Taste Adventure brand instant refried beans come in black bean flakes
and pinto bean flakes in an 8.75 oz. box.  They are unseasoned.  Require
only boiling water and a five minutes wait.  I used black beans.
Divide beans into desired serving size, place each meal in a snack size
ziploc.  I added the following seasoning:  tomato powder, dried
vegetable mix, dried onion, dried celery, dried green pepper, salt,
pepper.  It worked fantastic.  I will travel with this from now on.  I
mixed it with instant rice for a meal.

Taste Adventure also makes some pre-seasoned soup mixes, some of which
must be GF, The Gluten-Free Pantry carries some of them.  I just am
fearful of "spices" with my multiple problems.

I think I covered it.  I have no financial or personal interests in any
of the brands mentioned, I am just extremely happy with the results.
cbh/montana