From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:51:38 -0400

Dear Anxious Everyone on the List with Teeth:
A return visit to the dentist after a first scary trial of topical
anesthetic gel reveals:  I had no reaction to Pina Colada flavor (YUM!)
(Benzocaine 20%)  manufactured by Sultan Topex.

The report after 1 year GF is much improved dental condition overall.  I
lecture the dentist about celiac, especially in relation to children
with a tendency to decay, and adults with a tendency to bone
loss--things fraught with guilt--as if, in and of themselves, not
unpleasant enough.  I have a very earnest and concerned young dentist,
with whom I established a good working relationship based on a visit of
excruciating pain due to the fact that massive doses of novocaine had
absolutely no anesthetic effect.  He recognized (and so did I) that it
was not his fault.  Now he is genuinely open to discussions about body
chemistry.

It leads me to realize, yet again, how taboo the subjects are of pain
(ours) and powerlessness (ours, and perhaps also the doctor's).  The
combination is really bad for human relations of all types.  This, I
feel, is one of the greatest burdens facing celiacs.

If you feel moved to reply to this message, I will summarize.
Nancy in nyc