From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:16:30 +0100

In great excitement, I downloaded and unzipped this
program, only to find that it still does not answer any
questions about cups.  The conversion is between cups and
fluid (volume) ounces not weight ounces as we use here in
the UK.

The problem with volume measure of powders is that the
actual weight of material you measure varies widely
depending on the fineness/coarseness of the material you
are measuring by volume.  The difficulty can be
demonstrated by the fact that I have measured two different
rice flours which I use because they are respectively fine
and coarse and have different properties in the cooking.
The fine one weighed in at 330 grams for 2 cups, while the
coarse one was 450 grams for 2 cups.  Worse still the
coarse one would pack down until I could get 500 grams in!
Now considering that there is no reason to expect similar
size of grind between two countries (size of sugar grains
in Denmark and England are significantly different making
some of the old Danish recipes which use volume much too
sweet with English sugar), this makes it quite difficult to
work out what the correct mix is.  I might be measuring 50%
more or less than you and that is likely to be a problem
with non-GF cooking let alone GF cooking where I find I
have to be MUCH more precise.  (I have given up bothering
with recipes in US cup measure as it takes several goes to
get them right.  This costs both a lot of time and also a
lot of waste of food - something I consider immoral).

The other thing I find astonishing is that in this modern
day anyone voluntarily uses cup measure for dry
ingredients, when an electronic kitchen scale is so much
easier (mine will even measure in metric or imperial!).
Why even a man can do it :-) All you do is measure out the
first ingredient, press zero and measure the next on top -
and so on..... Oh yes - and it is QUICK.

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209