From:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 21:23:41 -0500

Thanks so much for all the gravy suggestions (which follow).  I can't
wait to bake a chicken or turkey again!  Sally, Virginia

Buy some chicken necks and backs and put them in the pressure cooker for
1/2 an hour with water and onion, celery, carrots and garlic.  Thicken
with some cornstarch and water.

His (a group member's)grandmother gravey started w/ pan dripping w/
added flour which was browned--basically a roux.  It didn't work will
rice flour.  Experimentation produced an acceptable g.f. alternative.

Heat a rounded tablespoonful of sweet rice flour over medium heat in a DRY
fry pan.  Stir often & cook until it turns a light golden brown color.
Add pan drippings, stir to mix.  Add milk, water, broth or boullion to
thin to the desired consistency (about a cup).  Mix w/ a whisk to remove
lumps if necessary & continue cooking for a while longer to finish cooking
the rice flour--it will not break down like cornstarch.  The browned sweet
rice flour gives it a rich nutty taste unlike anything your normal get
when using rice flour.

If you can find a Watkins rep.  in your area (it is a company that sells
home products) They have soup bases chicken and beef that are gluten free
and can be used to make gravy also.

We make gravy with potato starch using the same recipe as with Wondra
except that you use about half as much potato starch.

I use Swan brand Potato Starch Flour (found at Safeway stores).  Use it as
you do flour with the meat drippings.  Don't use too much though, it
thickens very quickly.  I find this makes the best white sauce I've ever
made (recipe on box).

In the Kosher section find the little broth cubes, chicken, beef, onion,
mushroom, be sure they are stamped "kosher for Passover" - they are
wonderful!

GF gravy isn't difficult.  Herb Ox bouillon is GF.  Just mix some
granulated bouillon (chicken or beef-flavored) with the pan juices (or
with water) and stir in a little cornstarch for thickening.  If you want
it a little more flavorful, saute some mushrooms over high heat in a
little butter (this will glaze both the bottom of the pan and the
mushrooms), then stir in the dissolved bouillon and pan juices, scraping
up the glaze from the bottom of the pan.  Add a little pepper.

I always just add potatoe flakes to my liquid.  Like Chicken stock and
it turns out GREAT. and GF never any lumps!

What I generally do is use any of the meat drippings from cooking and add
a small packedt of Herb-Ox boullion (for either beef or chicken) and
continue stirring while adding a small mixture (1-2 tablespoons
cornstarch to 1 cup water) bubbling and stirring this mixture til it
reaches desired thickness.  I know that the regular Herb-Ox packets are
GF but they do have a low salt version that I personally have never
checked on gluten status.

I just use the juice from whatever meat I am cooking, heat it up in a pot
on the stove, add water and cornstarch(not too much of each-experiement a
little), and stir while heating until you get the desired consistancy.  If
it's too runny, add a little more cornstarch and continue heating and
stirring.

Try Watkins beef or chicken soup and gravy mix.  Both are GF as
is their white sauce.  We love it.

I use about 2 Tablespoons of drippings off the meat.  In a separate bowl
mix about a tablespoon of potato starch with a half cup water.  Stir this
into the drippings and then add about a cup more water.  Over medium heat,
STIR!  until the mixture thickens to the desired consistancy.  You can add
little bits of onion or mushrooms if desired, and salt and pepper to
taste.  If you use the juice off canned mushrooms instead of water you get
a little more flavor.

Potato starch works better than tapioca starch.
Arrowroot can also be

Look in your bouillon section of your grocery. I have found something
called "Better Than Bouillon". It comes in a jar in many different
flavored bases and the company says they are all GF.

I just use GF beef or chicken broth & cornstach/water mixture.

If I bake a chicken or bake beef, I drain the juices and then heat up
and mix a little cornstarch or rice flour in at a time. This is quite
simple if you can do it fast and not get any lumps.

I can't give you exact proportions, but I use stock (vegetable, chicken or
beef - GF, of course) as the base for gravy, whisk in a mixture of flour
(or cornstarch) and cold water stirred together (how much of each depends
on how much gravy you're making and how thick you want it).  The whisking
helps prevent lumps.  Try a litle Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce
(original and white wine versions are both GF) for a bit more "beefy"
taste.

My wife uses corn starch and broth... plus seasonings.

I don't know if you're looking for a recipe for "gravy not from meat". I
don't know how to do that. I never liked "gravy" from a box anyway.
I use the drippings from frying or baking the meat, add some water and
either cream or a little bit of  corn starch to thicken. Then adjust the
flavor with some salt + pepper (in addition to what you put on the
meat).

AS long as you can have corn starch, this recipe that my mom has used for
years works great.  I have never had a bad batch of gravy.  First, make
sure you measure all of the liquid.  Just drain off the juice from a roast
or chicken, or you can use beef stock, too.  Then add enough water so that
you will have enough gravy for the number of folks you are feeding.  Then,
in a small bowl or something (I just use the one cup liquid measure.)
spoon heaping tablespoons of cornstarch into a cup of water.  You need a
tablespoon of cornstarch for every cup of liquid.  So, if you had a
half-cup of meat juice and added two and a half cups of water, you need
about four heaping tablespoons of cornstarch.  (Remember, you have a cup
of liquid you are mixing with.)  Mix the cornstarch so it is all dissolved
in the bowl, and then pour the mixture into the meat juice and water.
Bring this whole thing to a boil, making sure you stir it constantly,
because the cornstarch will settle out if you don't stir it.  Once the
gravy boils, you are ready to serve!

I find I now prefer to add a little chicken broth to the chicken pan and
thicken it with some sweet rice flour and water than the old way.  Cream
gravy, I make a roux with Asian sweet rice flour and add milk as I whisk
til it thickens.