From:
Deni Hansen-Gray Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:18:28 -0500

Well folks, I've been doing some searching and it seems that nothing is
currently in the works to try and change things.

Seems to me that there are three things that can be done.

1 - Each of us file a citizen's petition asking the Food and Drug
Administrator to take the action of implementing gluten warnings on
medications.  There is a specific regulation that addresses these warnings.
I think we are safe starting there.  The blurb I saw on the FDA page says
they get about 200 private citizen petitions a year. Think we could at
least double that????

I can put up more information about how to do this.  After I write my
petition, I can post it as an example - or send it privately if you'd like
to see it.  I don't think these petitions should be word for word
identical.  We each have our story.  Let's tell them.

2 - Write to our respective legislaters stating our specific concerns as
Celiacs.  (perhaps local petitons rooted in celiac support groups????)

3 - Petition that gluten be included on Food ingredient labels.  Since that
is not currently required as gluten is considered a "sub" ingredient, that
would have to be addressed separately, I think.  We have our health
criterea as a basis, and the FDA website blurb about Celiac Disease tells
that avoidance is the only way to prevent health damage.  Well - seems to
me they have to help us do that.

>From what I understand, this is a slow process.  But I don't think it is an
impossible one.

Especially if we can get some media coverage.

I'll be in touch with those of you who have mailed me privately as well.
If you want to be in on the mailings of info that isn't posted to the list
(I don't want to take up a lot of list space with this - I'll only post the
"vitals.")
 - just email me and let me know.

I'm working on a website to address some of these issues and post info,
too.  When that is up and running I'll post the site.
Wanna make some noise????

deni
(who is feeling very good about this right now.  Remind me of that when I
get discouraged down the road!!!)

It is seldom wise to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you
happen to live near one.